Saturday 13 February 2016

Lex's Writer of the Week - Roberto Bolano (4)


"One night I dreamed of an angel: I walked into a huge, empty bar and saw him sitting in a corner with his elbows on the table and a cup of milky coffee in front of him. She’s the love of your life, he said, looking up at me, and the force of his gaze, the fire in his eyes, threw me right across the room. I started shouting, Waiter, waiter, then opened my eyes and escaped from that miserable dream. Other nights I didn’t dream of anyone, but I woke up in tears."
- Roberto Bolaño
 
"Of course, they were other things too. Sometimes they were even everything all together, but not fame, which was rooted in delusion and lies, if not ambition. Also, fame was reductive. Everything that ended in fame and everything that issued from fame was inevitably diminished. Fame's message was unadorned. Fame and literature were irreconcilable enemies."
- 2666
 
"While we are looking for the antidote or the medicine to cure us, that is, the 'new', which can only be found by plunging deep into the nnknown, we have to go on exploring sex, books, and travel, although we know that they lead us to the abyss, which, as it happens, is the only place where the antidote can be found."
- Roberto Bolaño
 
  Follow all Lex’s  "Writer of the Week" series by joining the Second life Inworld group Culture and Fun or  bookmark this blog 
For literary  Inworld events  follow our  Calendar
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment